Basement door replaced

9/28/2014
When we purchased our Kodiak, the basement was detached from the floor, leaked, and the door didn't fit properly.  After searching online for a door replacement, $700 to $800, I decided to make my own.  I found a scrap piece of all weather 7/16" sheeting in a dumpster near our home where new homes are under construction.  I removed the fiberglass face from the old door and glued to the new door to maintain the original color.

Several weeks ago I remounted the fiberglass housing to the new flooring I replaced.  The worse part in making my own door, was the aluminum edging around the door.  I didn't have access to a bender that would bend aluminum channel 3" radius on the corners.  What I finally did was buy 1/2" aluminum channel and remove the sides in the corners, but leave the flat outside edge.  Now I was able to bend the radius but maintain protection on the edge of the plywood.  I plan on filling the radius in with fiberglass making the aluminum look like it completes the radius for cosmetic reasons.  After a coat of paint it will be perfect.

I replaced the thumb locks and added washers behind the locks to add strength.  The old locks were very unstable.  I replaced the weather seal.  Now we should have a dry and stable basement for Our Kodiak Adventures.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DeLeon Springs, Florida State Parks Video

Blue Spring, Orange City, Florida State Parks Video

Lake Louisa, Florida State Parks Video